The effective use of social networks is a skill not to be underestimated. Each mobile and social network has its own unique tool set and etiquette, and in order to keep up with our fast-paced society, you must understand each social network uniquely, and then adapt accordingly. Here are a few helpful hints to make the most from each of your social media platforms:
- Use visuals to inspire higher interaction and engagement rates.
- Photos uploaded to Facebook get five times more interaction and engagement rates than posted links.
- Visually compelling photos uploaded to Twitter double retweet rates, as well.
- Links shared on Google+ are mostly ignored, while photos garner high +1 rates and shares.
- Pinterest and Instagram, two of the most popular and newer social networks, are entirely image and video based. This reflects a seismic shift away from text to visual content. If you want your nonprofit to be highly shared, retweeted, +1’d, repinned, and liked, than you absolutely must have a digital image library to work with.
- Engage authentically.
- Your nonprofit is not a person. It is a brand representative of a cause, and most causes require a tone that is intelligent, well-informed, and communicated with conviction.
- Informal engagement is required by nonprofits, but only in moderation. Building a strong brand requires “being human” on social networks, and organizations should focus on becoming both an expert resource, and a compelling storyteller.
- Personalization is key.
- Remember, social media is a conversation! Be genuine in your responses, and mention the donor by name (or Twitter handle).
- These responses should feel as authentic as possible and not like they have been copied and pasted the same way for each donor. When donors feel appreciated, they are more likely to tell people about your organization. So make sure you are giving them the chance to share with all of their social networks when thanking them. Don’t miss out on this chance to equip your donors to help spread your message!
- 80/20 Rule.
- Lastly, but perhaps most importantly, when it comes to content, stick to the 80/20 Rule: 80% of posts should be centered on the user–offering value to them, giving them something for their benefit. The other 20% should be focused on asking them to do something for the organization, such as donate, sign up, share, etc.
- Keep in mind the Law of Reciprocity–give and take with your audience.
If you are interested in having Cause Inspired Media enhance your digital marketing and/or social media platforms, contact us!
Published By: Cause Inspired Media